Persuasive Article Assignment - 3/25
Write down these "terms to know" for persuasive writing.
Persuasive Terms and Definitions
- Issue – a problem that is discussed or argued about
- Position -- an opinion on a specific subject or issue (for or against)
- Convince – to make someone feel certain that something is true
- Persuade – to make someone decide to do something
- Know your audience – Who am I speaking or writing to?
- Evidence – to show something is true
- Counterargument – an opposing argument. To bring up something the other side might be thinking, and give them a related reason to stick to your side of the issue.
- Call to Action – Tell the reader or listener exactly what you want them to do
Read the following persuasive essay and write down the hook, thesis statement, and three main arguments the person made for their side.
Answer these questions about the essay:
- Who is the "audience" for this essay?
- What is the call to action that the author of this essay made to teachers and parents?
The only thing missing from this essay is a counterargument. Create a counterargument that could fit in this essay.
Turn your work from today into the 8th grade Language Arts Inbox.
You may now work on:
- Vocabulary (due Friday)
- Book Project or Reflection (due 3/27)
Posted on Sun, March 24, 2019
by Holly Hull