Persuasive Terms and Definitions
- Issue – a problem that is discussed or argued about
- Position -- an opinion on a specific subject or issue (for or against)
- Position Statement -- complete sentence that states the writer or speaker's position on an issue (in an essay, this would be the thesis statement.)
- Convince – to make someone feel certain that something is true
- Persuade – to make someone decide to do something
- Know your audience – Who am I speaking or writing to?
- Evidence – fact, statistics, examples, anecdotes that prove reasons given
- Counterargument – an opposing argument. To bring up something the other side might be thinking, and give them a related reason to stick to your side of the issue.
- Call to Action – Tell the reader or listener exactly what you want them to do
Posted on Wed, May 30, 2018
by Holly Hull